02 June 2011

Anne Fortier: Juliet (***)

Written by Anne Fortier Juliet is a fictional romance book about modern Juliet of Shakespeare's star-crossed lover story Romeo and Juliet.

The story is in my opinion, in the beginning very slow-paced or perhaps rather nothing exciting happens for quite a long time. The main character Julia Jacobs (or Giulietta Tolomein) is a rather self-centered, self-pitying and shallow. First impression is extremely important, when reading a book and to be perfectly honest Julia didn't exactly impress me, which almost caused me to abandon the book before I had even turned 50 pages.

I prevailed and was rather glad that I crawled through the beginning, because the phase picks up after Julia gets her greedy hands in her mother's treasure box.

The story also tells about 14th century Siena and two lovers: Giulietta and Romeo. It is rather appealing that in one chapter you find yourself in modern Italy and next you're in a historical tragic story.

I would most definitely recommend this to almost everybody, though if you can't stand weak characters the beginning might be a little bit of a torture to you. The book is practicially a brick, so definitely not some light reading.

Book started: 29th of May
Book finished: 2nd of June

No comments:

Post a Comment