05 July 2011

Charlaine Harris: Dead Until Dark (***)

Written by Charlaine Harris Dead Until Dark is a modern fantasy book about supernatural creatures and humans. Sookie Stackhouse is the main character of this book and she has a 'disability' of hearing people's thoughts. There's also some romance and our co-star for Sookie is Bill Compton, a few hundred years old vampire that has returned to his roots.

In my opinion, there's a lot of Stephenie Meyer's Twilight influence in this book. There is a mind-reader and vampires, of course, but instead of a brooding vampire unable to hear the girl's thoughts it's the somewhat crybaby-waitress-girl unable to hear the brooding vampire's thoughts.

It took me some time to get interested in reading the story, but I think the reason for that is because I have seen the TV series already. While not all the happenings are the same in the book, there's a lot of things that didn't surprise me as I read. What disappointed me was the quickness of the book's climax. It was so near the end I was sure that the crime case in the story wouldn't be solved at all and when it did get solved it lasted only a few pages at most.

No comments:

Post a Comment